Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)
Trailer: Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)
Starring: Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day
Directed by: Sean Anders
Runtime: 1 hr 48 mins
Genre(s): Comedy, Crime
Spoiler Free Review:
The sequel to the very funny Horrible Bosses movie does more of the same but with a different formula. Dean, Kurt, and Nick want to live life without having a boss in their life. They want to be the boss. So, they come up with an idea that can make them millions. Just because they have an idea though doesn’t mean that they know how to run a business. This sequel does not fall into the pitfall of the first formula which is nice but doesn’t have a lot of the laugh out loud moments the first had and it really is less funny all together. Chris Pine is a welcome but seems to be out of his element here.
Spoiler Filled Review:
Horrible Bosses 2 was supposed to be just as funny if not funnier than the original movie. It’s hard to have a movie were they try to kill another boss so, they are now the Bosses (in a way) and instead they kidnap Rex (Chris Pine). There wasn’t much room to move with this movie. Once the idea was layed out it played out the rest of the movie with 1 twist that I could have done without. As a comedy it felt it may have been better as a Crime flick. Because the funny was too forced at times.
I love Charlie Day (plays Dale) normally. But in this movie he annoyed the heck out of me. But so did Jason Sudeikis’ (Kurt) character too. They seemed very shallow as characters and were there only for jokes. Jokes that didn’t come off as that funny. I would say 30% of everything they said made me chuckle. The other 70% had me like Jason Bateman’s character (Nick). “See, prime illustration that you two are idiots!”. Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey, and Jamie Foxx’s characters felt forced a bit but they were additions that helped make it feel like it was a true sequel instead of just another movie with these 3 guys from Horrible Bosses. Finally, with the addition of Chris Pine & Christoph Waltz it seemed like this movie just got a shot of class. I said “seemed” like. Waltz (Bert) had very short scenes but was great and Pine seemed very much out of his element. I would rather him be in an action flick even though I do believe he got his start in rom coms. I found his character to be campy and annoying.
The idea that they had in this movie was very nice. Obviously most of the plotting came from the Rex character because these idiots couldn’t do something that complicated. I thought it added a nice touch to a new feel of the movie. The Score/Soundtrack helped freshen this movie up by throwing in some Katie Perry, NWA, Cali Swag District to name a few.
It felt the 3 main actors had a lot of control in this movie. I felt they used a lot of ad-lib throughout giving the director something to edit in the final process. I thought the movie followed a very cohesive track until we hit the twist. After that it felt the movie tried to hurry up and end. Maybe that’s just me but I wasn’t a fan of the twist. I wanted to see these guys have it all and beat the “bad” guy in the process. It was very formulaic until that point and I get thrown a curveball. It’s fine I guess, just wasn’t my favorite. As for the director? Sometimes if everything goes without problems it’s because the director handled everything pretty well and did a fine job editing the final product.
I liked it. It wasn’t the funniest movie of the year but definitely earns a spot right behind the first film.
|Comic Book Connection||Jamie Foxx – The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Christoph Waltz – The Green Hornet|
|Favorite Moment||Riding in the getaway car with MF’r Jones|
|Most Hated Moment||When Rex is trying to convince Nick to not give up and the other 2 guys are over talking him. It really annoyed me.|
|THIS Movie reminded me of THAT Movie||The Hangover 2 – Not following the exact same formula like this movie but still…|
|Box Office Budget||$42,000,000.00|
|How much it made Domestically||$54,445,357.00|
|Was it a Box office Success? Or Failure?||Success|
|Did you notice?||1. That beginning weather guy was the guy from the old Playstation Commercials. Glad to see him get some work.|
|2. Keeley Hazell was Rex’s Assistant in the movie (Woah!! Here is a link to show you what I’m talking about)|
|3. That the outtakes at the end of the movie were not funny at all. Most outtakes are hilarious.|
|Rotten Tomatoes Score|